Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Safe and Happy Shelter

May 19, 2010
Read Psalms 91-96

Ps 91:1-2
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge
and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

SAFETY. It’s a big concern, isn’t it? You want to be safe when you leave your home and when you return. You want your finances in a safe place. Your children need safe schools. You want “safe” relationships with family and friends. Safety is a wonderful blessing, isn’t it?

But sometimes our safety disappears. A friend last week was diagnosed with a serious illness that will keep her away from work for several weeks. She’s uncertain, hopeful, afraid and feeling “unsafe”, her health suddenly tenuous.

What do we do when life’s safety nets seem to disappear? The psalmist celebrates, worships and honors God’s strength. God is the place we go, and in him we will find the “shelter of the Almighty”, the refuge, the fortress in whom we trust.

Call on God, and the power of his enormous love reaches out to protect you. His arms are over you. No enemy no matter how strong can touch you because God, your refuge shelters you.

In the hymn “Beneath the Cross of Jesus” it says of the cross: “O safe and happy shelter, O refuge tried and sweet”

The shadow of the cross is over your life. Trust the cross. It cost God his only Son. And when a father has given his Son to save you from harm, from death, he’ll do anything to protect you when you trust him:

Ps 91:14-16 “Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. 16 With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”

My friends, trust God, his Word is true and strong. Oh yes, go forth today rejoicing in God’s unyielding, eternal safety around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment