Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Narch 28, 2012 Who Is He?

Who Is He?

Mark 8:27-29 Jesus and his disciples went on to the villages around Caesarea Philippi. On the way he asked them, “Who do people say I am?” 28 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.” 29 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Peter answered, “You are the Christ.”

I COULD easily ask you, “Who do you say Jesus is?” but I won’t. Why not? I want you to stop and consider Jesus and your answer for a while—perhaps a week or so, maybe even longer. And I’m hoping you’ll come up with the answers that will honor Jesus. (Perhaps you can email me a note when you’ve considered your answer.)
In your consideration, be careful of your own thoughts. In other words, Peter rightly answered Jesus by saying, “You are the Christ.” But does Peter fully know what that means? To the Jew, the Christ is an earthly ruler releasing them from foreign rule. Peter would come to know the Christ’s fullness when he saw his resurrected body and when Jesus fed him breakfast along the sea, calling him to “feed my sheep”. (See John 21.) He’d know Jesus even more when he began preaching, healing and then dying for his Lord.
Thus, when I ask you to spend some time answering the question, “Who do you say Jesus is?” I’d like you to go beyond your mind to consider what Scripture says about him, what your experiences are with him and what you feel as you read Scripture.
For example, if you call him, “Savior.” will you live a life feeling joy and peace, assured and grateful that he has saved you to eternal life?

Pause and consider that how you see Jesus requires an appropriate response.

No comments:

Post a Comment