Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July 14, 2010 Listen

July 14, 2010
Read Jeremiah 33 – 36

Jer 35:17 “Therefore, this is what the LORD God Almighty, the God of Israel, says: ‘Listen! I am going to bring on Judah and on everyone living in Jerusalem every disaster I pronounced against them. I spoke to them, but they did not listen; I called to them, but they did not answer.’”

“LISTEN.” says God. We’ve all heard that word of determined instruction from a teacher. The teacher had something to say, something necessary for you to know. If you failed to listen, to follow her words, you might fail the class. She wanted your full attention.

Guess what. God has pass or fail things for you to know, too. And he wants your full attention.

Pass/fail, life/death. This eternal stuff is huge stuff. How can we not pay attention? Is our temporary, daily life so important that we ignore God’s instructions in place of our own preferences?

In fact, while I’m writing this, I am struggling to keep my attention on my work. I have things to do later today and this evening. And I’m even thinking of some of you who might be reading this. I’m wondering, “How are you doing today?”

Our distractions come from our everyday life, don’t they? As we sat in the school classroom, we were too eager to focus on everything outside the classroom. As we walk through each day, we are too eager to focus on everything outside of God.

We need to be eager to listen to God’s voice. Take time each day to give him your full attention. Trust his eternal love for you. Know he has each “distraction” in your life under control for you. Put aside life’s issues and listen to your Lord God Almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment