Saturday, July 3, 2010

July 3,, 2010 Eternal Questions

July 3, 2010
Read Jeremiah 1-2

Jer 1:4-8 The word of the LORD came to me, saying,
5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” 6 “Ah, Sovereign LORD,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.” 7 But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a child.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the LORD.

LET’S SET the stage. A great tragedy is about to unfold. Jeremiah is most difficult to read. God causes horrible destruction on his people and sends many of the nation into exile in Babylon. But before he does, he gives his people the opportunity to turn from their evil religious practices.

Jeremiah is a person God uses to warn, condemn and save his people. And Jeremiah is a mere youth.

But he was a youth with a purpose from God. As you read through this story, please remember Jeremiah’s youth, and you will be amazed at his faithfulness to God’s instruction. He has a very hard message to deliver. But he obeys God and speaks the truth.

Jeremiah will go before kings. He will be persecuted, threatened with death, saved by God’s hand, and separated from the people he loves. Jeremiah lives in mourning because he loves God, and he loves his people.

What I believe is good to focus on these next few days is to ask two questions: “Can I trust God—even with the big things?” and “Am I properly living my life in God’s truth?”

Jeremiah would face the first question. The Hebrews would be confronted with the second question. See how God responds to those who obey and those who do not.

Trusting the Father with his Word is very, very serious, eternal business.

No comments:

Post a Comment