Saturday, October 2, 2010

October 3, 2010 Jesus' Cup for You

October 3
Jesus’ Cup for You
Read John 17 - 18

John 18:11 Jesus said to Peter, “Put your sword back in its place! Do you think that I will not drink the cup of suffering which my Father has given me?”

OH, I don’t like this lesson. Jesus’ words tell me that my sin put the cup of death on him. My sin is responsible for the Son of God to suffer and die. Ugh.
Yes, that is a hard thing to understand. When I sin, it affects my Creator—even to the point he would die for me.
When we live in the light of Jesus’ resurrection, we become aware of how precious we are to our heavenly Father. Understanding the Father had to deal with our sin by killing his Son should cause us to mourn and weep. Each sin must be covered by Jesus’ blood! Can we truly comprehend such sacrifice and offering?
When we do come to some level of understanding Jesus’ sacrifice, we should also feel a great gratitude, a grand gladness as we take to heart our Lord’s life-giving sacrifice.
For you see, our sin actually makes us enemies to God. But he has loved his enemies. He has loved you and me so much that he died for us. He has loved us so much he canceled our sin, and he set us free.
Jesus, in the midst of his sorrow, welcomed the cross because of his great love for you.
Truly trusting the Father’s great love, we come to understand that we are precious in his sight. We are here because of him. We are given salvation because of his love. Jesus took the cup and changed us from the enemies of God to the children of God forevermore.


Pause and Consider: how great it is to be a friend of the Lord Almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment