Thursday, March 31, 2011

April 1 2011 Keep Your Eyes at Home

Eyes at Home
Read 2 Samuel 10-12

2 Sam 11:10-11 When David was told, “Uriah did not go home,” he asked him, “Haven’t you just come from a distance? Why didn’t you go home?” 11 Uriah said to David, “The ark and Israel and Judah are staying in tents, and my master Joab and my lord’s men are camped in the open fields. How could I go to my house to eat and drink and lie with my wife? As surely as you live, I will not do such a thing!”

I CRINGE every time I read this, somehow hoping David says, “No!” to temptation. David, the magnificent king of Israel, makes a tragic mistake. David, the one with a great heart for God, turns his heart to darkness. And a simple foreign soldier shows a greater love for God than the man of God.
How does that happen? A Hittite soldier honors the ones he fights for. The king dishonors the one who fights for him. And then the king murders the Hittite.
David, David, David…how could you be so greedy, so cruel, so lost? Was it pride that took you to this darkness? Was it boredom? Why didn’t you go to fight that spring and lead your soldiers as you should? Why did you let your eye fall on another’s wife? Why did you turn your inward lust to outer shame?
What is it in us humans that makes us want more than God has given us? Is it ever possible to be thankful and happy with what we have, to keep our eyes at home?


Pause and Consider: how harmful it is when we desire what someone else has. Ask God to protect you from those “I want” desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment