Saturday, April 23, 2011

April 28, 2011 Worship with Silence

Worship with Silence
Read Job 40-41

Job 40:4-5 “Behold, I am vile; What shall I answer You? I lay my hand over my mouth. 5 Once I have spoken, but I will not answer; Yes, twice, but I will proceed no further.”

I DIDN’T know what to say. I had sat down with my wife to tell her how her actions were unfair to me. I wanted to tell her she had treated me unfairly. I was prepared to state my case and to hear her apology.
But she began the conversation. She told me how she had heard condemnation of her in my words. She explained her feelings of unworthiness in my presence because of the way I had acted. And in response I was silent.
Oh, I could have lashed back and claimed she was wrong. I could have argued and tried to justify what I had done. But the truth was, she was right. My actions had hurt her. When I realized my sin to her, I was silent, and said, “I’m sorry.” My submission to her and my admission of sin honored her and began to restore our relationship.
Job had been arguing with God. Now when he heard God speak, he knew he had sinned. He worshiped God with his submission and admission. He worshiped God in his silence. Here, then, began the restoring of Job’s heart, mind and soul into a close, loving, honoring relationship with God once again.
Being silent allows our heart to hear God’s voice.

Ps 46:10 “Be still , and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”


Pause and Consider: how loud God’s voice is when we are silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment