Sunday, November 20, 2011

November 21, 2011 Cleaning the Drawer

Cleaning the Drawer
Read Philippians

Phil 3:8 For his sake I have thrown everything away…
&
Phil 3:10 All I want is to know Christ and to experience the power of his resurrection, to share in his sufferings and become like him in his death.

I WAS just thinking about a drawer in my desk. You probably have one like mine. It has a “few” papers that I put there to temporarily store. Temporary has extended into several months, almost a year, and I really need to clean it out. But it’s easier to focus on other things—even taking a nap. But I really want to clean and organize the drawer. Why don’t I?
Our spiritual lives are cluttered with temporary things, aren’t they? We come across a doubt here and there because we don’t understand God’s Word. Or we want to get our kids to Sunday school and go to church, but oh, we just can’t seem to get out of bed on Sunday morning. We all know life can be more “with” God. But clutter gets in the way.
How do we clean the clutter and open our spirit more “cleanly” to the Holy Spirit? Paul did so by “throwing everything away”. He’s turned his life to focusing on removing the clutter and totally trusting Christ because he knows that kind of life is the best kind of life.
With the clutter gone, he is able to know the power of Jesus’ resurrection is all that matters. He can grow more like Jesus and more to love Jesus.


Pause and Consider: what clutter needs to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment