Tuesday, February 21, 2012

February 22, 2012 Why Bother Jesus?

Why Bother Jesus?

Mark 5:33-36 Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. 34 He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.” 35 While Jesus was still speaking, some men came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue ruler. “Your daughter is dead,” they said. “Why bother the teacher further?” 36 Ignoring what they said, Jesus told the synagogue ruler, “Don't be afraid; just believe.”

HERE is a woman healed and then she is fearful she has stepped beyond her bounds. Here is a man seeking healing for his daughter. Then he hears the news she is dead. Then Jesus assures him, “Do not be afraid.”
Fear pops up in so many places, doesn’t it? “I’m afraid to go to Jesus. He might say I’m too guilty.” Or “I’m afraid. I have no hope for my future.” Or “I’m afraid to tell anyone how Jesus has healed me. They will laugh at me. They’ll think I’m crazy.”
Jesus tells you and shows you here that there is no room for fear in his Kingdom. He welcomes you to come to him. He offers you hope amid disease and even death because he conquers all things that oppose him. He offers to you his love as you seek him and go touch him.
When Jesus says, “Don’t be afraid, just believe.” he is offering himself to the woman, to Jairus, to the crowd around him, and to you.
Jesus wants you to know in the turmoil of fear and emotions from all directions, you can turn and focus on him.
Turn to Jesus. As each new emotion comes to you, say his name. Touch his cloak. Hear his love. Your fear will go.


Pause and consider Jesus’ presence quiets your emotions.

--I pray that this Lenten season is a time for you to pause and consider harmful habits to stop and Godly habits to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment