Thursday, February 2, 2012

February 4 Family First?

Family First?

Mark 3:20-21 Then Jesus entered a house, and again a crowd gathered, so that he and his disciples were not even able to eat. 21 When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.”

Mark 3:33 “Who are my mother and my brothers?” he asked.

YOU likely put a high priority on family life. You desire to nurture and care for them. God desires you do so.
Jesus’ family went out to get him. He was so intense in his work, he hadn’t eaten. They likely feared for him, also, because of the large crowds around him. They thought it best to go get Jesus and bring him home.
That was good of them from a human point of view, but it was not what God wanted them to do. It’s not what Jesus needed to do right then. He was about his work. There’s family time and there’s “mission of God” time. Jesus’ passion was to be on mission to proclaim the Word of God through his teaching and healing. This was his highest priority.
Yes, Jesus may have been hungry, but he knew he’d survive – remember 40 days in the desert? Yes, people were opposing him, but he certainly would defend himself – remember 40 days against the devil?
When Jesus rhetorically asks, “Who are my mother and my brothers?” He’s saying, “My mission is my purpose. My work is to save all my people. I cannot be distracted, and I must do it.”


Pause and consider Jesus has come to take you home.

No comments:

Post a Comment