Thursday, June 14, 2012

June 15, 2012 Jesus Sang

Jesus Sang Mark 14:26 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. DID you know Jesus sang with his disciples? I mentioned this verse to someone, and the surprised person asked, “They sang a hymn?” I wonder what Jesus’ range was. Did Jesus have perfect pitch? Maybe he sang lead. Or perhaps Jesus sang supporting harmony. He was very good in either role. What did they sing? After a meal, it was customary for the Jews to sings psalms from the Hallel—a name for Psalms 113-118. Read through them and you will see many familiar phrases of praise to God, e.g. Psalms 116:1-6 I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. 2 Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. 3 The cords of death entangled me, the anguish of the grave came upon me; I was overcome by trouble and sorrow. 4 Then I called on the name of the Lord: “O Lord, save me!” 5 The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. 6 The Lord protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me. Psalms 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. Verse upon verse of the Hallel proclaim God’s salvation. Several have been incorporated into modern praise songs. Many used in hymns and calls to worship through the centuries. Jesus and his disciples sang on that emotional distressing night and received comfort. Isn’t it good to know God has gifted artists through the centuries to use his word to comfort you? Pause and consider how God’s music is so good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment