Thursday, October 4, 2012

October 6, 2012 Imprisoned or Free?

Imprisoned or Free? John 8:31-34 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?” 34 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.” ONE THING I can never understand is why people want to be in prison. Why do people commit acts against society that put them in a place where they have great restrictions on “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”. Born into a culture in the United States that offers endless possibilities for a wonderful life, thousands upon thousands of people use their freedoms to lose their freedom. But there’s a much larger “imprisoning problem” in our colure and in the world. Millions upon millions of people born into God’s world use the “free will” God allows in their lives to turn God’s will from their lives. When you act in your own desires, turning from God’s commands, you are living in a spiritual prison that keeps you from pursuing Jesus’ promise of (John 10:10) I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. What imprisons you? I search my heart and wonder if I am too judgmental, too unforgiving, or too content. In my free will, do I willingly love Jesus enough that his love grows me more into his full life? Or do I love more my own habits? Do my life habits lock me up in myself? Or do my life habits lead to Jesus’ freedom? It’s True! Self-reliance imprisons you. Jesus frees you.

No comments:

Post a Comment