Tuesday, March 19, 2013

March 21, 2013 Thank Offering

Read Psalms 116-117 Thank Offering Psalms 116:17-19 I will sacrifice a thank offering to you and call on the name of the Lord. 18 I will fulfill my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people, 19 in the courts of the house of the Lord — in your midst, O Jerusalem. Praise the Lord. IN MY experience in the church from the time I was a child to this day, the concept of “offering” in the church seems to place the word on the level of a curse. “The church is always asking for my money.” “Don’t ask me to tithe, or I’ll leave the church.” “I’ve a little left over this month. I’ll put this in the offering on Sunday. I’ll give what I can afford.” We have this attitude, and then we have meetings wondering why the church is declining. I’ll tell you why. God is taking his church away from those who refuse to offer him thanksgiving and praise. Oh, God doesn’t want your money for money’s sake. He wants you to offer what’s closest to your heart, and often money is the heart-thing, isn’t it? Our culture is all about money and getting stuff. Get it. Keep it. The psalm reminds you to take what is precious to you and offer it to God. Yes, that means your money. It also means your time and your gifts. Thank offerings also include living into God’s Word to help and care for others. God gives you what you have to bless others and to show God how much he means to you as you obey him in all ways. Here’s an offering reason: Give to God’s church or his people a thank offering for his offering to you. You know about that offering, don’t you? See him on the cross? It’s True! Failing to give thank offerings to God is denying his offering to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment