Thursday, May 30, 2013

May 31, 2013 Praying Praise

Read Habakkuk 3 Praying Praise Habakkuk 3:2-5 &19 Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O Lord. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy. 3 God came from Teman, the Holy One from Mount Paran. His glory covered the heavens and his praise filled the earth. 4 His splendor was like the sunrise; rays flashed from his hand, where his power was hidden. 5 Plague went before him; pestilence followed his steps…19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights. WHAT causes you to pray? Stop for a minute and consider your answer. What came to mind? I believe that many of us are “trained” to answer that question with things that we or loved ones need. “I pray for a good day. I pray for my wife’s health. I pray for a job.” Certainly it is appropriate to pray these types of petitions, asking God to care for and restore certain areas of your life. But do you ever answer your reason for prayer with this: “I want to praise God and celebrate His majesty, to rejoice in His promise of salvation.” That is Habakkuk’s prayer. He is distressed over the sins of God’s people, and now he prays for these reasons: 1. He understands God’s sovereign power. 2. He loves God’s people. 3. He loves those who sin. 4. His hatred of sin. 5. His desire God will remove sin from the world. 6. His faith in God’s promises. Praising God, petitioning God for protection from evil and deliverance from sin are powerful prayer purposes. Jesus did that. Check out Matthew 6:9-13. It’s True! Prayer is for praise and petitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment