Sunday, February 23, 2014

February 24, 2014 A Brotherly Love



A Brother’s Love
Genesis 44

Gen 44:33 (Judah said) “Now then, please let your servant remain here as my lord’s slave in place of the boy, and let the boy return with his brothers.”  

JOSEPH had conspired with his servants to frame Benjamin to hold him captive. He seems to be testing his brothers to see if they would abandon Benjamin in Egypt as they had sold him into slavery. This is a character test for the 10 brothers who betrayed Joseph.
      Amazingly, Judah responded with a willingness to sacrifice his own freedom for Benjamin. Judah spoke to convince Joseph to hold him, Judah, as a prisoner and to release Benjamin. The brotherly competition had been replaced with brotherly love to the point of sacrificing for the other. This sacrificial offer was Judah’s response to honor his promise to his father Jacob. “I myself will guarantee his safety; you can hold me personally responsible for him.” (Gen 43:9)
      Now Judah was living into his word. He was arguing to become Joseph’s servant!
      About 1500 years later, a descendant of Judah would show to the world and to us what it means to sacrifice for his brother. Jesus, the Savior of the World, descended from Judah’s bloodline. He died on a cross to honor his Father’s will, and he rose from the dead. On that day of resurrection, he told Mary Magdalene, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” (John 20:17)
      As you confess Jesus as your Lord and Savior, he is also your brother. You have the Father in common with Christ. Jesus has died that you would be free of sin’s slavery to live with him, the Father and all your brothers and sisters forever.

LIFE Link: Love your brother and sister has Christ as loved you.

No comments:

Post a Comment