Saturday, May 17, 2014

May 18, 2014 Secret Pal



Secret Pal

Matthew 6:2-4 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”

THERE is this “secret pal” relationship some of you ladies periodically form. A group of you will draw names and keep the name of the person you draw a secret. You will anonymously care for the person through prayer, a birthday card, anniversary card and other encouragement. You are a “pal” as you come alongside another in this way. Usually, I believe, the group meets at the end of a year to reveal to one another who has been each other’s secret pal.
     I used to think this ministry form a bit odd. Why would I want to get a card from an unidentified source? Why would I want to send a card or birthday present to someone without the opportunity to be thanked? Wouldn’t it be good for the person to know I’m praying for them? Being anonymous didn’t fit into my framework of loving relationships.
     But Jesus’ words cause me to think again. My desire to be thanked was too self-focused. Receiving a thank you with grace is a good thing, but the motivating reasons to care for another are the recipient’s benefit and the Lord’s glory.    
     Giving anonymously turns your heart more easily to your “pal”, and you understand more fully how to love your neighbor as yourself.

LIFE Link: God rewards the secret pals.

No comments:

Post a Comment