Saturday, April 14, 2012

April 15, 2012 A Strong Hold

A Strong Hold

Mark 9:26-28 The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, “He’s dead.” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up.

THIS IS a scary scripture. If you don’t think sin is a serious problem in your life, think again. Sin desires a death grip on you. Sin sneaks in and grabs hold. Only the Holy God has the power to break its deadly grip.
I saw a news spot on television tonight about a man in a homeless shelter. Alcohol and gambling addictions have broken his life. He lost his wife, his family, his home, and even the barest essentials of a physical existence. Sin’s addictive grip had such a hold on him that it nearly killed him until the power of God rescued him.
It’s easy to judge him and say, “Why didn’t you stop?” But how does sin grip you? I look around, and I easily see so many “addictions” in people’s lives. It grieves me to see people refusing care because prideful sin firmly blocks their humility. I see couples unwilling to stop their sinful “me-first” hearts, refusing to “submit to one another out of reverence for Christ” (Eph 5:21). I see my own heart sometimes with the sin of “too busy’ to stop and “be still and know I am God” (Psalms 46:10).
Yes, sinful habits grab us, hold us and cause us to be deaf to hearing the word of God and mute to praising God. Jesus’ power is the only sin-conquering power.

Pause and consider Jesus strength is for your freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment