Sunday, April 29, 2012

April 30, 2012 Why So Sad?

Why So Sad? Mark 10:21-23 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” 22 At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth. 23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” JESUS answered the young man’s question, “What must I do to inherit eternal life?” telling him of the commandments and clearly loving him. What more did the man want? Apparently he wanted his way. That’s the thing isn’t it? You’re willing to ask Jesus, “What must I do?” but are you willing to do what the Lord requires of you? Since the dawn of time, humanity has said to its creator, “Lord, I like most of what you said, but I can’t quite do that ‘one thing’. I can’t keep my hands off the forbidden fruit. I can’t go into that city to preach repentance. I can’t go to worship you as you call me. I can’t give up my self-purpose for your purpose. I can’t offer my life to you. You can have most of my life, Lord, but you can’t have it all.” If that sounds too familiar, then pause and consider that you really don’t want to call Jesus “Lord”. Failing to give him all of your life, he is not Lord of your life. You remain your own lord. God will not tolerate competition. The young man went home worshiping his money more than Jesus. Do you think he inherited eternal life as he desired? Pause and consider what it means to you to call Jesus, “Lord”.

No comments:

Post a Comment