Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 6, 2012 Abandoned

Abandoned Mark 15:33-34 At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour. 34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?”-which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” JESUS’ cry from the cross rings loud and tragic through the ages. “Why, my Jehovah, the One who is Eternal, Deliverer, why have you abandoned me, your Son?” Alone in agony on the cross, the Son of Man cries out, and he seeks an answer you and I often need to know. “Why have you abandoned me, God? Have you left me to die? Have you allowed my enemies to triumph? Why, God, have you not saved me? You promised you would always be my God. Why am I all alone?” Sometimes the answer comes. Sometimes there is no answer. The question lingers until the day God returns to you. You see that in David’s life story. You see that in Job’s story. You see that in Jonah’s story. You see it in Daniel’s story. You see it in all the stories of the Bible as God transforms his world and his people to his salvation. Certainly, you see it in Jesus’ story. God had left his son to die on a cross, but he had not abandoned Jesus forever. As Jesus cried out, his human agony was deep in his soul, his human pain was excruciating to his body; yet, the day came when his Father returned to him to restore his life. Do you feel God has abandoned you? Jesus knows your feeling. He also knows the joy of reuniting with the Father. Stay with Jesus, and he’ll lead you home to the Father, too. Pause and consider Jesus is your way to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment