Monday, January 14, 2013

January 15, 2012 Journey Toward God

Journey Toward God Job 30:24-31 “Surely no one lays a hand on a broken man when he cries for help in his distress. 25 Have I not wept for those in trouble? Has not my soul grieved for the poor? 26 Yet when I hoped for good, evil came; when I looked for light, then came darkness. 27 The churning inside me never stops; days of suffering confront me. 28 I go about blackened, but not by the sun; I stand up in the assembly and cry for help. 29 I have become a brother of jackals, a companion of owls. 30 My skin grows black and peels; my body burns with fever. 31 My harp is tuned to mourning, and my flute to the sound of wailing.” YOU likely didn’t open this devotion to read about distress. But I think it’s important to look for a moment at Job’s great pain and suffering to deal with the things that oppress us. Job had lost his family, possessions, health, position, and good name. He views his suffering as greater than anyone has ever had to face, and he’s asking the “W” questions: “Where are you, God?” “Why is this happening to me?” “What are you going to do about it, God?” “When will this end?” “Will I ever be whole again and happy?” Do you ever ask the “W” questions? How do you find the answers? First, examine your life. Most of the time, you have distress because you have sinful habits. Be willing to check your distress against God’s Word then adjust your life into His life. Second, if your distress is not the result of sin, (as Job), know there are times when God, for his own purposes (as with Job), puts a test into your life. Faithfully stay with God, and he will build your faith. Your response to distress can separate you from God or draw you closer. What direction do you want to go? It’s True! Your faith journey takes faith in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment