Sunday, December 1, 2013

Advent Day 1 A Strange Combination



A Strange Combination

Advent Day  1 Luke 1:50 His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.

“MERCY” and “fear” don’t seem to go together, do they? Wouldn’t it make more sense if Mary said “mercy’ and “love”? How does mercy extend to those who fear God?
     Have you ever had an argument with your dad against something he wanted you to do with him? Who won? Did you walk away satisfied you got your point across? Did he walk away thinking, “My child does not respect me.” Who won?
     You didn’t. Oh, you may think you did, but you didn’t. You got your way, but you lost a part of your relationship with your father. You showed no respect, no “fear” for his authority and position as head of your family. And he wondered, “Does my child love me?”
     This type of relationship with your father continued for years. You obeyed him only when it was convenient for you.  Then one Advent Day  you got into trouble. “Dad, can I have some money to fix my car?” His response surprised you. “No, my child, you have rejected me too many times. You show me no respect when I ask for your obedience. You will have to solve your problem on your own.”
     Dad is out of mercy for you, his wayward child. He asked repeatedly for you to obey him. But you said, “No.” This is what happened with the Hebrews repeatedly as God called them to obey. When they kept refusing, he removed himself from their presence, and they suffered horribly. But when God’s children called on him, obeyed his laws and feared his ways, he showed them great mercy.
     Fear God. He is absolute over your life. He will leave you if you ignore him. He will punish you if you disobey him. He will be merciful to you if you obey him. Fear of God leads to mercy from God.


Pause and Consider: God wants your fear. He wants to shower you with his mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment