Tuesday, December 17, 2013

December 18, 2013 Stop--Go Do It!



Stop—Go Do It!

Advent Day 18

Luke 2:15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

IN 2001 I had the opportunity to travel to Baltimore. The night I arrived was the night the Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl. Two days later, the city had a parade that went down the street past the building where I was working. I’m a football fan. Pretty cool, huh?
     Actually I didn’t see it. I was too busy working, and didn’t even stick my head out the door. I have no idea what happened.
     Suppose the angels had “gone into heaven’s and the shepherds decided to keep working. What would have happened? Of course, they would have missed the turning point of history. They would have missed Jesus. 
     It’s true that God didn’t need the shepherds to go see his Son. But in his love, he invited them to go experience the Savior come down to earth. He invited the shepherds into his presence.
     That’s the Bible, isn’t it? God invites. You respond. Go or not go? Go in faith or stay at work “with the sheep”? Focus on Jesus or focus on yourself.
     God’s messenger today is the Holy Spirit. He comes to invite you to the Savior. Are you too busy to go to the Bible, to the Bible study, to worship, and to prayer? Then stop what you don’t need to do.

Pause and Consider: how going to Jesus is God’s gift forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment