Monday, February 11, 2013

February 12, 2013 A Breath

Read Psalms 38-39 A Breath Psalms 39: 6-11 Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it. 7 “But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you. 8 Save me from all my transgressions; do not make me the scorn of fools. 9 I was silent; I would not open my mouth, for you are the one who has done this. 10 Remove your scourge from me; I am overcome by the blow of your hand. 11 You rebuke and discipline men for their sin; you consume their wealth like a moth — each man is but a breath.” IF YOU perhaps would be thinking that you are irreplaceable, pause and consider. I know, you need to get to work. You have your parenting responsibilities. You have a job to do at church. You’re babysitting your friend’s kids tomorrow because you are a generous person. Certainly your work, your church, your friends can’t get along without you! Or can they? These two psalms are really difficult to read. The words cry out from the lips of a man in pain and in great distress and illness. He longs for hope of healing in his body. He struggles to know God’s love. But then he realizes: “each man is but a breath”. That’s humbling. What then is his only hope against disease and sin? Of course it is the eternal Lord. I see this kind of pain and longing nearly every day. People cry out, “Where’s God?” Only when the person realizes he is but a breath against God’s majesty can he begin to submit to God’s healing of soul and spirit. What’s your distress? Can you give it up and give it to God? It’s True! Your life is but a breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment