Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lent Day 11 February 23, 2013

Lent Day 11 The People’s Unbelief Read John 12:36-43 John 12:42-43 They loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God. OH, I don’t like this scripture. It hits way too close to home. How often to I consider inviting someone to church or asking a person about his thoughts on Jesus, and I inwardly make some lame excuse—”Surely he won’t be interested. He might laugh at me. He might make fun of my job or my church. It’s better if I keep quiet. I’ll just make small talk.” Ick. I almost want to vomit. I’m such a liar. I say I love Jesus, but do I act like it and talk like it? Too many times I don’t. Once in a while, though, I get a glimpse of what life would be like if I were more obedient to Jesus. When I pray with a stranger who has just shared some deep anxiety with me, I feel God’s presence and his hand on me. When I invite someone to church, and they talk about issues in their life, I can encourage them, and share my love and Jesus’ love for them. Sometimes I confront lies about the Bible face to face with someone who publicly ridicules God’s Word. I feel empowered to stand firm for the truth again. In other words, when I show my love for Jesus by helping others know him, I sense him close by saying, “Thank you. I love you, too.” Pause and Consider: who needs to know the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment