Thursday, July 11, 2013

July 12, 2013 Be A Brother

Read Galatians 6 Bear One Another's Burdens Gal 6:1 Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. ONE word the Apostle Paul uses often in his letters is “brothers”. It’s certainly a word that is common to us, but I’d like you to see how he uses “brothers” in two uncommon, meaningful ways. First of all, ladies, don’t feel left out. He’s speaking to you, too. “Brothers” was not necessarily a male term. The term was one of endearment and honor to both men and women Paul had ministered to in Galatia and other churches. He wanted them to know he held them in high esteem. He honored them with a Jesus-like love. That’s where the second special element of “brothers” occurs. When the risen Jesus spoke to Mary in the garden, he says this: John 20:17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” The Lord of Life calls his disciples his “brothers”. Jesus connects with his disciples as his brothers under the authority of the Father because Jesus has become physically and spiritually connected to his disciples. As their Lord, he is also their brother because he has walked with them, served them, suffered for them, died for them and is now alive for them. Thus, when Paul calls his church “brothers”, he is saying, “I love you as Jesus loves you. I am willing to sacrifice my life for you. I am eager to serve you. I will suffer for you because I am your brother.” Are you willing to call others “brother”? It’s True! Brotherhood is truly an intimate relationship in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment