Tuesday, July 23, 2013

July 24, 2013 Holy Witness

Read Philippians 1:8 Holy Witness Philippians 1:8 For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. HAVE you ever said it or heard someone else say it, “As God is my witness, I love you.” “As God is my witness, I didn’t do it!” That, my friends, is spoken to be a convincing statement, isn’t’ it? The Apostle Paul writes to convince Philippi to he loves them as Jesus does. He is convinced of his love for Philippi. He is convinced of Jesus’ love for his church. And he is convinced that the church in Philippi needs to be repeatedly affirmed that Paul really wants to be with them. As he says, “God is my witness.” Paul is not merely speaking as someone who wants to convince his wife of his love or someone of his innocence. He is speaking in the sight of the holy God. As Paul convincingly declares, “God is my witness.” he knows he stands in the presence of God, who is witnessing his actions and words. This is the holy God of whom David says in Psalms 2:12 “his wrath is quickly kindled” because every man of God knows that the Lord will judge sin in his wrath. Paul fearfully speaks “God is my witness” convinced God will punish any lie he speaks. Can you imagine saying, “For God is my witness.” and then telling a lie? Did you reply, “No, I wouldn’t lie in God’s name?” Then I urge you to consider how you live out your faith in God each day, then. Do you say to the world, “I’m a Christian.” and speak of doing well while your heart has no desire to speak and act as Jesus? Be careful how you speak. Be careful how you act. The Holy God is a witness to your life. A Moment’s Thought: “Christian” is being of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment