Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 29, 2013 Preference

Read Philippians 1:22-24 Preferences If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. WHAT do you love to do? Can you always do the thing you love to do? Or are you responsible for some work or commitments that keep you from what you love? Our lives as parents can be this way, can’t they? We love our spouse and children and desire to do things with them. But we also have responsibilities to work to care for them. We don’t always get to do what we prefer, do we? Paul’s dilemma goes beyond our earthly preferences to eternal desires. His greatest desire is to go live with Jesus. But, his greatest responsibility is to stay on earth to minister to the Philippians and others. He knows he must live into his responsibility. Paul is living out his words in Phil 1: 21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Everything about Paul’s life, including his very life existence, is about submitting to his Lord’s will for his life. He could easily consider that after years of difficult ministry his work is over and say, “I’m done, Jesus. Take me home.” But instead he’s willing to joyfully live into the work Jesus has yet for him to do. Paul knows life is not about his preferences but about his responsibilities in Jesus, and he submits to his ministry as long as he is alive. A Moment’s Thought: What does Jesus prefer you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment