Saturday, August 10, 2013

August 11, 2013 Press On

Philippians 3:12-14 Press On 12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. I love this passage, and I hope you do, too. Why? First, Paul puts his past in the past. Second, I love Paul’s passionate desire to follow his Lord as far as he can, “I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus”. Jesus clearly calls his disciples to such “pressing on” following. Note how Jesus’ simple three-word command, “Come, follow me.” engages you to decide—with Jesus or not? Imagine Peter, Andrew, James and John standing at their boats looking back to what they had been doing all their lives. Then they looked ahead to an unknown journey with an unknown rabbi. Yet, they followed, compelled by the Christ to give up their past and to press forward with him. Paul and the first disciples fully knew Jesus was the Son of Yahweh, who is the Great I Am! They followed him to the edge of faith – and then they always pressed on to follow him some more because they knew Jesus is life! They were Abraham at the altar, Moses at the burning bush and David before Goliath. God filled them with faith, and they went. And yes, none of them were perfect. But they faithfully pressed on to Jesus’ perfection. So must you. A Moment’s Thought: Forward is the only direction to follow Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment