Wednesday, August 14, 2013

August 15, 2013 Be of Peace



Philippians 4:1-3

Be of Peace

1 Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved. 2 I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. 3 Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

PAUL had just finished writing of the wonder of being born again into a new life in Jesus as citizens of heaven. As he says, “Therefore.” he is transitioning to an instruction on how people at Philippi ought to live. It’s as if you said to a child, “Aunt Jean sent you a nice birthday present. Therefore, show you are grateful for the gift. Call her to thank her.”
     Thus, in response to their citizenship in heaven Paul entreats the Philippians to stand firm in the Lord and to act as people who have received the great gift of eternal life. Euodia and Syntyche are arguing. Of course, that is no way for kingdom citizens to act. He urges them to agree as they are joined in the family of God. And he urges the others in the church to help them settle their differences.
     Self-desire can get in the way of Jesus’ way can’t it? So much argument comes to Jesus’ church because someone’s unhappy with the service time, music (Oh, please stop that nonsense!) and endless selfishness. People of Jesus’ church act as if they are citizens of Hell, and I’m sure Satan is delighted to see that.
     You are a citizen of the heaven. Live like it.

A Moment’s Thought: Why wouldn’t you?   

No comments:

Post a Comment