Sunday, May 15, 2011

May 16 Tell the Kids

May 16
Tell the Kids
Read Psalms 78-81

Ps 78:4 We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done.

ON MY library shelf is a book about my father’s side of the family. The book is a collection of stories of ancestors who came from Europe. Paging through, I see how people with different last names, unique talents, and diverse backgrounds come together under the word “relative”. I see my connection through great-great-great-grandparents to hundreds of individuals. It’s very cool. I would like to see a similar book for my mother’s side. (Another book?)
I love knowing about my family. Stories of who they were and are connect me in some way to each one. In that connection, I feel a responsibility to be a good member of the family and to tell my children. I hope my children learn of their family, and carry the family stories forward to the future.
There’s another book in my library that connects me to many, many people. The Bible tells me how I’m connected to the very beginning of mankind on the earth. The Bible tells me God’s story of my spiritual heritage and gives me a picture of how I am to live in this family with my millions of relatives.
Yes, God has written his story to tell of his law and his grace, and he tells us he has a place for us as we confess our sins and accept his grace.
And when we do, God’s Spirit has come to live in us to form us into a child of God, the Father and brother and sister to the Son, Jesus.
The psalmist proclaims we must tell the next generation. We must tell God’s story to our children and their children, extending God’s story into the future, so it will always be available to all people.
God has given to us an eternal story, a life-changing story. Has it changed your life? Will you tell your children?

Pause and Consider: how God’s story brings you into the family with Jesus, Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment