Friday, April 12, 2013

April 13, 2013 Do Good

Read Proverbs 13 Do Good Proverbs 13:21 Misfortune pursues the sinner, but prosperity is the reward of the righteous. AS I listen to people talk of their lives, it’s not uncommon to hear people say, “I wish I could have done better. I know I can do better. I know my parents’ discipline was good for me even when I rebelled. I was a difficult child or teen at times. I’m glad my parents stuck with me.” Certainly it is commendable that people realize they could have made better choices. But the question that often comes to my mind is, “Why didn’t you just do what was right? If you knew you were being rebellious and difficult, why didn’t you just be obedient and easy to be with?” As the scripture talks about misfortune pursuing the sinner, I think about the problems that exist in people’s lives and I wonder, “Why don’t we do what’s right?” Most people – I hope you’re included – know when they are acting wrong and causing conflict. Often those wrong actions lead to misfortune, circumstances that cause people to ask, “How did I get into this mess?” Usually the answer is, “You made some mistakes.” I know. Things happen outside your control. Sometimes you’re a victim of others’ wrong actions. But misfortune very often is your fault. You go somewhere you shouldn’t. You drink one more beer. You spend too much on the credit card. You ignore your kids. You eat too much. You lie around too much. You stay away from church. You choose anger when you could choose forgiveness. You delight in conflict when you should treasure peace. You drive too fast. I know. One day you’ll say, “I should have done better.” Make that day today. Your life will change. It’s True! Good actions open the door to a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment