Monday, November 11, 2013

November 12, 2013 Your Lamp



Read 2 Samuel 22

Your Lamp

29 You are my lamp, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light. 30 With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall.

DAVID has been through a terrible time. Absalom, his son, has killed another of David’s sons. Absalom has rebelled. Absalom is dead. Thousands of soldiers have died. Another rebellion has threatened Israel and Judah. It has been, I’m sure, a tortuous time for David.
     Does he say, “Why, God? Why, me? What’s wrong with you, Lord? Why don’t you come and help me? Where are you when I need you?” No. Instead this embattled man praises God. Please be sure to read all of 2 Samuel 22 to see David’s expression of worship to the sovereign LORD.
     David could worship God because he knew his troubles were rooted in his sin. He expresses great gratitude to God, who is still with him to strengthen him in his weakness and to free him from his sin.
     Very often I see people reject God when life doesn’t go as they please. Unfortunately, what they please is sin. They don’t know God or want to know him. They prefer to be distant from him and angry with him because he doesn’t give them what they want. As spoiled children, we cry, “Give me!” and expect God to comply.
     What we are to want is God himself. God wants us to receive his love, his law, his grace and his will. He desires we understand that he “turns my darkness into light” and gives us the light to see our way out of the dark cells of sin that imprison us.
     Yes, God is freedom. Submit to him and praise him. Worship him and live in his light and in his strength.

A Moment’s Thought: How beautiful is it to live in freedom.




No comments:

Post a Comment