Saturday, August 14, 2010

August 15, 2010 Jonah's Ticked Off

August 15
Jonah’s Ticked Off
Read Jonah 3-4

Jonah 4:1-3 But Jonah was greatly displeased and became angry. 2 He prayed to the LORD, “O LORD, is this not what I said when I was still at home? That is why I was so quick to flee to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. 3 Now, O LORD, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live.”

JONAH was grieved to the point of death that God has saved Nineveh. Nineveh had been evil to Israel, and Jonah had no place in his heart to love his enemy.

Sometimes I have counseled people to pray for their enemies, and they give me a strange look. They are probably thinking, “I can’t stand that person. Why would I want to pray for him?”

Could it be we know that in praying for our enemies God might show them his compassion? Could it be God would save them from their wrongdoing, even to eternal Life?

Jonah obeyed God to go to Nineveh, but his heart was still in deep conflict with his mind. He did not want Ninevah to repent and be saved.

Do you obey God by studying his Word, yet disobey him in the ways you think and act? God loves even your enemies, and he calls you to do the same.

Open your heart. Pray for your enemies. Remove hatred and resentment. Receive God’s love and give it to others. Trust God’s commands and free yourself to receive all he has for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment