Sunday, August 22, 2010

August 27, 2010 A Good Rest

August 27
A Good Rest
Read Matthew 11 - 12

Matthew 11:28-30 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light.”

REST is a difficult thing for many to find. Besieged by demands from children, spouses, bosses, neighbors, and yes, even the church, we live and react to a world that is often demanding and unrelenting. We even strive to be busy, so we can proclaim with pride, “I’m so busy. So much to do.”

To what end are we “busy”? Is it to satisfy our own desires? Or is it even to avoid Jesus? Too busy to pray, too busy to care, too busy to love, too busy to go to church, to busy to…

Jesus wants us to slow down, focus on him and receive his rest. Rest in him. Take time to be with him in his Word. Listen to some music that praises his name. Enjoy reading a good positive book. Spend time with your family doing fun stuff.

Rest this way, and you’ll be amazed at the peace that comes to your heart. When you rest in Jesus, you will receive strength to deal with strife.

Rest in Jesus. Trust him for his sufficient grace and his abundant life. As a good night’s sleep without interruption, experiencing Jesus’ rest is invigorating and renewing.

Thank you, Jesus for being our source of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment