Wednesday, August 4, 2010

August 5, 2010 Getting to Know God

August 5, 2010
Read Ezekiel 40 – 42

Ezek 40:4 He said to me, “Watch, mortal man. Listen carefully and pay close attention to everything I show you, because this is why you were brought here. You are to tell the people of Israel everything you see.”

WHAT DO you see of God? I used to say, “Very little. I didn’t know because I didn’t really know God.”

Ezekiel is in a place where many think they want to be. Often I hear, “If God would just show me clearly who he is and what he wants, then I would know what to do.” Truth is we really don’t want to see him, do we? If we do, we know we must give our lives over to him.

But he will nudge you, “Come and get to know you.” And years ago I responded with a devotion to the study and the teaching of his Word. I grew to understand that God would call me to go into new and uncertain places. Some of those places were: 1) more responsibility in his church, 2) a mission trip to the Amazon jungle, 3) a daily time of prayer, 4) preaching, 5) caring for the homeless, 6) writing, 7) waiting.

As I stepped into these new and uncertain places, I began to see how God was using these to get to know him more personally. And this knowledge allows me to tell people precisely about God.

God gave to Ezekiel clear visions of who he is and what he wanted Ezekiel to tell his people. Ezekiel certainly was uncertain about why God had chosen him. But Ezekiel saw God. And Ezekiel gave his life over to his LORD.

Are you unsure about what God looks like? What he has invited you to do with him? Then pray for an open heart and open eyes to get to know him. Receive your invitation. And be ready to go with him. You will see him clearly, and you will tell the world what you have seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment