Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 9, 2010 Humble Heart

August 9, 2010
Read Daniel 4 - 6

Daniel 4:36-37 At the same time that my sanity was restored, my honor and splendor were returned to me for the glory of my kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored to my throne and became even greater than before. 37 Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.

KING Nebuchadnezzar had survived 7 years living as a wild beast. God humbled the king to recognize God’s sovereign authority and to worship the Living God. King Nebuchadnezzar had been proud. He gave credit to himself for all his accomplishments. He honored himself above God. Does this sound familiar?

It does to me. I believe we all have our tendencies to look to ourselves for purpose and glory. We strive to make things happen our way and are frustrated when we find roadblocks and detours to “my idea”. Sometimes the road is closed completely, and we wonder why.

Perhaps an answer will come when we look to God’s purposes in our life instead of our own. Many times I have had a plan. Then God has changed it, and when I see the difference, I say, “That’s good, God.”

Do you need to let go of your way to find God’s ways for you? Be honest with your answers. Then humble yourself to truly consider what God is guiding you to do. This is what Daniel did in his daily life and in the most terrifying circumstances. Daniel found his purpose in God’s sovereignty, and it gave him assurance:

“Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard. (Dan 10:12)

Humble your heart and be secure in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment