Thursday, June 19, 2014

June 20, 2014 Present with Jesus



Present with Jesus

Matthew 8:34 Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus. And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region.  

CONSIDER Jesus being with you for a moment. What feelings or images come to mind? I love the picture of Jesus standing with his hands open, arms slightly outstretched in a welcome posture. Behind him are the clouds of God’s glory. In essence that is the picture of Jesus I carry around in my mind. I see Jesus in his love to welcome me each day, ready to watch over me and hold me when I need him to do so. I hope you have a similar picture of Jesus being present with you.
     But apparently the Gentiles of the Gerasenes saw Jesus as an intruder. He had come to preach the Gospel into this area across the Sea of Galilee from Bethsaida, where he often ministered. He healed two men possessed by demons (Mark’s gospel records it was one man.) And the demons had left the area as they caused swine to drown in the sea. Before he arrived there, he had also calmed a storm on the sea.
     In a few sentences Matthew has reported 3 ways Jesus displayed his glory, the evidence of his rule, before both his disciples and the Gentiles.
     But the people asked him to leave. Apparently they were afraid of his glory. Instead of seeking him with such words as, “Lord, how can we be saved?” they turned him away. The Lord of Life was at their doorstep, and they kept the door closed. Maybe they felt too unworthy to be with him. Worse, maybe they didn’t want to adjust their lives to his glory.

LIFE Link: Trust in Jesus’ presence with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment